Construction of primary school building complete with biogas and water supply, set to serve 195 pupils living within a 3km radius in rural Madagascar. The school will provide students with an education, hot midday meals and a clean water supply, at a one-off cost of USD 33,310, to be delivered by 30 October 2021.
The project presents a low-cost opportunity to achieve rapid social impact that is sustainably minded, benefiting a highly-engaged local community and delivered by an experienced project manager.
The rural borough of Antsahamarofoza is located within Ankadikely Ilafy, in the district of Antananativo, Madagascar. The existing community school infrastructure in Antsahamarofoza is no longer fit for purpose and a new facility (including both a classroom and canteen) is necessary in order to continue the education of local children, who have no alternatives as a result of low income.
The school canteen will be based on self-sufficient food supply, twinned with a community garden that supplies the necessary vegetables. The provision of hot meals is central to achieving the project’s social objectives:
- Incentives for low-income households to send children to school;
- Improve the nutrition received by children and nutritional awareness;
- Create a focal point for community ties (parents, teachers, farmers);
- Partnering with local producers contributes to sustainability and empowers local communities.
Biogas provides energy self-sufficiency and helps fight against deforestation.
The local community are engaged and motivated to assist with the development of a new building, offering their hands in the demolition of the old building to help where they can.
Update as of 20 April 2021:
- Planning documents have been submitted to the authorities for approval;
- A survey has been carried out on the well site and costs for drilling are a result of a hydro geophysical report carried out on 22 March 2021 by ARC-EM CIEL. Two drilling sites are recommended, at a depth of 9-11m, and the associated cost is included within the budget.
Total: USD 33,310
Breakdown of costs (all USD):
|Removal of existing structure||FOC (carried out by parents/volunteers)|